Bead Day. Yvonne Kuriata

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Sold one-of-a-kind jewellery

Friday, January 29, 2016

Jewellery masterpieces. Bagués Masriera

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Watch the creation of the glasses stand. Guest post by VZBRELO

This is one more guest post by the VZBRELO girls. You can find a list of all their "behind the scene" post here.

Hello all again! Today I would like to share a story of one of our favourite custom orders ever. Can you guess what it is?

We got an order to make a stand for the glasses. To be honest, we had no idea that an accessory like that existed. However it did not take us long to come up with a design.

It had to be a computer Mouse )

We started with a sketch:

The material for the order was a piece of pear wood. This wood was so nice that I fell in love with it )

First we cut out a block of wood:

Then we gave it a shape:

Worked on the Mouse's face:

Then sanded and polished it:

Here it is finished and stained:

Meet our Mouse:

We hope you enjoyed our story!

If you are interested to see more, come and visit us! Our main online community is here (Russian). We also have an Instagram account, where we post pictures from our workshop. We love meeting new friends!

Maria and Tatiana.

Jewellery jokes

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Jewellery masterpieces. Georges Fouquet

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Georges Fouquet. A Gold Art Nouveau Brooch.

My first experience of amateur restoration. The first and the last, I think. (Guest post by Marina Zabrodina)

This is a guest post by an illustrator Marina Zabrodina. You can find her previous guest posts here and here.

So, I decided to give second life to the bedside table rotting in a shed, that was lucky to get my eyes on it on one sunny June day...

Here it is:

It was very old... made at least seventy years ago of solid wood and plywood (I think).

This is what I needed to do to give it a decent look and make it usable:

• to sand the surface and remove the old paint as much as possible,
• to replace the rear wall that was rotten and partially eaten by some bug,
• to replace the bottom,
• to replace the shelf,
• to replace the lid,
• to put a few wooden patches over the holes for the the door hinges on both sides, 
• to patch and sand the cabinet,
• to paint it,
• to put a wooden patch on the door,
• to patch and sand the door,
• to paint the door
• to re-make the drawer,
• to decorate the surface by using pyrography technique for the drawer front, the lid and the shelf, 
• to decorate the door with a piece of tapestry,
• to replace the missing handles,
• to hang the door on the hinges.

That was the exact plan. Thank you for reading the list)

Then everything went not according to the plan at all!

I would like to start with showing the pictures of the dismantled cabinet.

This is my favourite picture

Let's continue if you are still reading. I sanded the cabinet first, and then painted it right away with the oil enamel. I do not know why. I would prefer not to admit that, but the pictures would give me away :)

This is the back. I coated the inner side of the cabinet with the enamel and stained the outer side.

Then I made a shelf and stained it.

Then suddenly I remembered that I had a plan, so I started working on the patches.

I patched the door too (there was a hole there)

Then I made new bottom and new drawer:

I will admit that I got some help with the handle :)

Then I spray-painted the cabinet with a matte paint. By the way, it stuck to the oil enamel well. I think it worked out for me that I brush-painted the surface first as my skill level of spray-painting was rather poor. 

I painted the door and glued a piece of tapestry on it:

I installed the shelf, then finished the bottom and glued the lid on the top:

I hung the door (ok, I admit that I got some help here too, as I was out of inspiration at that point :)

A few details:

As you can see, the cabinet is far from perfect. I achieved my goal to make it usable, though. Now it lives in my home. It does not look new, but that is acceptable for a cottage style cabinet :) 

It was my first experience. If I've known what I know now, I would do it differently and changed all wood instead of patching it. 

Here is "Before and After" picture:

In the house:

Thank you for looking!

Marina Zabrodina

Jewelry Designer Blog. Jewelry by Natalia Khon. Design by Pocket